Sunday, August 17, 2008

Day #3-6..... This is difficult



I'm really surprised at how hard this it is to be aware of what we are buying and what we are throwing away. I find myself just throwing things out without even thinking about it. Which is why our friends are most likely winning this little competition. Just to clear some things up about why my wife and I are doing this little competition. We are in no way becoming environmentalist. For me we are realizing that we are could be better stewards of what we have and how we use what we have. Many of the practices that we are slowly trying to put into place are not only good because they are less wasteful but they also are very practical and save us money. Like re-using foil and plastic baggies. For a commentary by my Friend Justin that explains why we are doing this challenge follow the Link. It was recorded on our way to do a little dumpster diving. Go here to check it out.
I was hoping to be able to blog about this everyday but I just don't seem to have the time. I will blog as often as I can and try to process my thoughts enough for the post be interesting and maybe meaningful.
We have been doing some dumpster diving. Here is a link to some pictures that we took. It feels strange jumping into a dumpster. This was really the first time we have done it in broad daylight and had people actually see us in the dumpster. I don't know why but the thought of people seeing me do that made it harder. Deep down inside of me I don't want people to think poorly of me which I think indistinctly they would if seeing me scavenging through a dumpster. The more I do this the more it is showing me how I process what I see and how I react to what I see and how I can change that for the better.
One of the things we noticed was that in one day that dumpster we went to was filled. It was empty in the morning and full that evening. Even though it was a business it seems like it was an awful amount of stuff being thrown out.

No comments: